Monday, February 28, 2011

{ah, sugar, sugar}


The next few weeks are going to be extremely hard but I am looking forward to the outcome. I have decided to quit eating sugar. This won't be easy because I am seriously addicted to it  -as in -can't seem to resist it. But, I have been working myself up to this so it should be easier than if I'd tried a few months ago -it is time to just do it!

I was always an active person and for the most part could eat anything I wanted and never worry about it but all that has changed. I'm less active than I should be (working on that too) and I def can't eat anything I want now without it affecting my weight. I am not going to give my actual weight in number form but I will say that I currently weigh about 30 more pounds than I did when I got married 5 years ago. It has been a slow addition every year having to buy pants a size bigger but I just can't fathom the idea of staying this weight or continuing this trend. I must make a change. I have known this for awhile, if I was honest at least the past two years I have been extremely unhappy with my weight but I have yet to make a change. That change starts today! I know my biggest problem is sugar! Again, I'm addicted -there is no other word to describe it's affect on me. I crave it, I feel like I need it -it's ridiculous!

I am an emotional eater and it doesn't make things better when I'm feeling down about my weight to go buy a waffle cone ice cream with sprinkles, but this is seriously what I find myself doing! Why? Because I'm addicted. I have often asked myself why drug addicts do what they do, why they can't stop and I don't know why I ask because if I was honest with myself I know what addiction feels like. The sad part is sugar is just as bad as a drug, I judge others but I am an addict myself. It may sound ridiculous to compare sugar addiction with drug addiction but why? It's addiction. I don't want to be an addict anymore!

Now, to get down to the details. I am quitting sugar that I have control over, for example: that ice cream cone I mentioned earlier, candy, soda, cakes, cookies, processed treats, etc. -basically the things I know I shouldn't eat but do anyways. I will try to buy products that are lower in sugar but I will still eat things like spaghetti sauce and bread, milk and well pretty much everything else that has some amount of sugar in it but is not really a "sweet treat" type of sugar. I know I may slip but I am giving this my all... I will try to blog once a week about this topic to keep myself in check. My goal is to break my addiction, to be healthier, and yes -to lose weight. I will post the affects and any weight change I may have. We are going on a short vacay in a couple months and I would love to have a double digit weight loss by then to celebrate -and by celebrate I mean purchase some smaller size dresses and jeans!

Have any of you given up sugar? Do you have any advice?

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Admission is the first step! I'm proud of you, this is a very hard thing to do! But I know you can do it!

Jordan said...

You look great, but I understand how it feels. I've also heard eliminating sugar makes you actually feel better, so that's another great perk! Good luck with it! I'm sure you'll do graet!

d.a.r. said...

Ahhh good luck!!!

Gwen said...

Good for you!!! I wish I could do something like this but I seriously have zero will power. I'll be here cheering you on!!!