Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I've got the "thrift" and I need help...

I love a good thrift store and the feeling you get when you find something that is truly ugly but you see it's beautiful potential -if you thrift, you know what I'm talking about.

So... Last Thursday, I decided to take a different route home because I was planning on stopping at a particular store to look for something for my daughter's birthday. I drove by a thrift shop and decided I had a few extra minutes so I turned around and went back. As soon as I stepped through the door I saw a cabinet in the back that I thought looked pretty good (you never can tell sometimes until closer inspection). I got closer, it had been $125 but was marked down to $85. It was wood with 2 glass doors and 2 glass panels on top (and no broken glass), two shelves inside, and 2 wood doors on the bottom and 3 drawers. It had a few dings but nothing major a little wood putty can't fix. I called the hubs...

Me: Honey, I stopped at a thrift store.

Hubs: Oh God!

Me: Honey, they have this wood cabinet that is in really good shape and I really like it.

Hubs: Oh God!

Me: Honey, I really like it and I could paint it.

Hubs: Oh God! How much is it?

Me: It's ONLY $85 and that is a really good deal, honey!

Hubs: Sweety, why do you want to buy old, used furniture?

Me: Because I like it and it could be my project.

Hubs: Oh God!

Me: Please honey, I really like it.

Hubs: Will you make me some coffee and Bailey's when you get home?

Me: YES!

Hubs: Just put it on my card.

Me: I love you!

Hubs: I love you too, but will you please take it straight to the basement so I don't have to see it...

EASY as PiE and it gets better...

So I go to pay for it and I say to the lady, "I'd like to buy that cabinet in the back" and she says, "Oh lucky for you today is the last day of the furniture is half off special".

That's right I scored a super awesome wood china cabinet for only 42.50!

Oh, YES!

So, I tell them I will be back in a few days to get it. I get in my car and start on my way home and I come up on another thrift shop and I'm feeling kind of lucky so I pull in and you won't believe what I got...

A Chippendale Camelback Sofa that is in fantastic condition -not dirty, no tears, nothing and no 50% needed here it was only $39.96.

I couldn't get to the front quick enough to say I wanted it! There was some guy sitting on it on the phone with his girlfriend (and yes, I was eaves dropping on the convo) pretty much having the same discussion I had just had 10 minutes earlier with my sweethubs -trying to get buying approval.

I didn't even call home -besides I just figured I gotten approval to spend $85 bucks and had only spent $42.50 so the couch. was mine! (you know how you rework something in your mind to fit what you want it to -yeah, that's what I do)...

so anyways now I have this (well, something very similar)



and I'm thinking of so many ideas but I can't make a decision for the life of me and wanted to get some ideas from y'all!

So what do you think, should I do a fun and vibrant velvet, a big bold print, or a neutral linen?

Here are some fun pictures I've saved for inspiration:










5 comments:

Gracie Beth said...

That convo between you and your husband made me laugh!

Kitty and June said...

love it love it!!! you and the hubs sound like me and mine!!!

i think you could go anyway with the decorating! what a fun decision! see ya saturday!

Gwen said...

Since I've seen the sofa in person I think you should sell it to me instead!!! I'll pay you double. :)

Where are you planning on putting it? I can't remember if you told me or not. And when are you going thrift store shopping again? I need some new furniture. :)

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

This made me laugh!! I love thrift stores too! That couch has SO much potential - good for you for seeing that!!

Jordan said...

Wow- great finds! I love thrift store finds, too! So many great ideas to choose from on the sofa.. I'm not sure what I'd do. Do you cover it yourself or have someone do it? I've got a chair I need to have covered..