Monday, August 17, 2009

my new love

while i was in Ky I did a little shopping at a few of my favorite little boutiques and look what i found... it's my new love!



this isn't the greatest picture to show you how beautiful it is, but it is a gorgeous red and it lays perfectly flat and isn't uncomfortable to wear like some heavier beaded pieces.

i have to mention in this same post that i'm very disappointed. one of the shops that i so often frequented when living in Ky had went out of business. i was completely shocked that this quaint little shop that had the cutest jewelry and great gift finds was no longer there. talk about disappointed... it just so happened that while i was there i went over to a girls night in event at a friends and the owner of that shop was there as well. i was like OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT HAPPENED and she just said that the economy wasn't what it used to be and gifts were just not on people's shopping lists.

then... once i got back to Kansas i remembered buying a similar piece of jewelry from a local shop and went to see if they might have something that would complement my new love and guess what... it was no longer there either.

SERIOUSLY, people please support your local small businesses, you can usually find the best handcrafted pieces and great unique gifts at these smaller shops. i love to find one of a kind pieces and you just can't do that at wal-mart and target.

okay rant over, but i just hate that these businesses are gone and now i have less places to discover new things and artists that create beautiful things have less places to sell their great bargains.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

I'm the same way!!! I hate seeing little shops and restaurants close so I try my hardest to shop at them even if they are a little more expensive. I love the necklace too!!! It's absolutely gorgeous!!! XOXO

Danielle said...

Was it Isle of You? I just drove past there a couple of weeks ago and was so sad to see it had closed. I thought it was a Lex fixture but I guess it just wasn't seeing enough traffic. Sad.

Love the necklace, by the way! Oh and it sounds like your new job is a great excuse to go shopping! Good luck.