Friday, February 18, 2011

Fashion Friday

I have got fashion on the brain today! Let's talk about personal style and how to find it!
Here is a helpful guide:

1. Know Who You Are!
-I am a mom, I am 30ish :), I am a working professional, I work in the city and I live in the suburbs, I have a mostly unlimited budget but I love a bargain, I am happily married, and I like to be fashionable at work and play!

Consider (1.) your age  (2.) your occupation (3.) your lifestyle and lastly... the persona you want to present!

2. Look for Inspiration! Find a celebrity muse who best captures the style you want to emulate.
-My two fave celebrity fashionistas are: Jennifer Anniston and Reese Witherspoon!




Use elements of that celeb's look to create your own style!



3. Know what you want to accomplish!
-My goal is to be stylish, fashionable, comfy, and chic.

4. Accentuate your Assets!

5. Take a Style Lesson!
-I have way too many fashion mags and I always know what's "in" for the season!

6. Assess your Current Wardrobe!
-Every season go through your closet. Remove any items you don't wear or don't represent the current you.

7. Make a Few Changes!
-You probably don't need an entire new wardrobe (that would be expensive), instead update what you have and add a few up-to-date pieces.

8. Stock Up on Wardrobe Essentials!
-My personal list: Black Pants (the infamous yoga pants) these are great for early morning soccer games to bunco night, Black Tank, White Tank, White button-up, Jeans (boot-cut dark wash and white ) buy what works best for your body type, White t-shirt, little black dress, black and nude heels.

Once you have your essentials, you can update them with trendy jewelry, belts and shoes!



9. Stay in your Comfort Zone!
-I want comfy, fun, casual, chic pieces... no stilettos or skinny jeans for me.

10. Trust Your Instincts!
-Skinny jeans may be in, but my body does not do skinny jeans. Just because something is a big trend doesn't mean everyone can pull it off and we know what looks and feels good on our own body.

Does this make me look fat?
If you have to ask the question... you probably already know the answer (and I mean the real one -not the one your hoping to get)!

"just because it zips, honey, doesn't mean it fits."

-joan rivers

5 comments:

JMB said...

I LOOVE this post!! I love all your ideas and love Jennifer Anniston's style. I think all the pieces that you have mentioned are timeless pieces! Gooodluck girlfriend!! I think you ARE pretty stylish!

Gwen said...

I love Jennifer Anniston and you always look fabulous!!!!

Jen Watts said...

great inspiration girl!

d.a.r. said...

Amen sister--know your body type!!! If you wear the wrong size/fit/type for your body, you look heavier, uglier and slobby. You don't have to wear the fanciest most expensive stuff, just things that fit!

Kitty and June said...

such a great post! jen and reece are my 2 favorite style girls as well. classic with trendy flair is my mantra! :)